UKUG mail list, spam and viruses, etc.

Josef Karthauser joe at tao.org.uk
Thu May 13 15:56:54 BST 2004

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

On Wed, May 12, 2004 at 11:26:47PM +0100, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:52:40PM +0100, Dimitrios wrote:
> > > If everything looks ok then I propose reopening the list so that
> > > non-subscribers can email it again.  Any thoughts?
> >=20
> > i personaly think that an open mailing list is a bad idea.
>=20
> So do I, provided the list is relatively easy to join.  I'm not sure
> what the join-up process is nowadays, but I assume that people get to
> see the list charter on subscription.
>=20
> It also removes one thing which really annoys me - off list people
> asking for help but providing broken email addresses.  Anybody
> attempting to help is then wasting their time, in that the help isn't
> going to reach the requestor, or the helper spends more time in tracking
> down a working email or postal address.
>=20

The problem with a closed list however is the need for someone to
moderate it.  I've not got the time and others who have stepped up to do
this in the past have not stayed with the job at hand... :(

Joe
--=20
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
FreeBSD (cvs meister, admin and hacker)     http://www.uk.FreeBSD.org/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D An eclectic mix of fact an=
d theory. =3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k

--7iMSBzlTiPOCCT2k--