UKUG mail list, spam and viruses, etc.

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Wed May 12 23:26:47 BST 2004

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 05:52:40PM +0100, Dimitrios wrote:
> > If everything looks ok then I propose reopening the list so that
> > non-subscribers can email it again.  Any thoughts?
>
> i personaly think that an open mailing list is a bad idea.

So do I, provided the list is relatively easy to join.  I'm not sure
what the join-up process is nowadays, but I assume that people get to
see the list charter on subscription.

It also removes one thing which really annoys me - off list people
asking for help but providing broken email addresses.  Anybody
attempting to help is then wasting their time, in that the help isn't
going to reach the requestor, or the helper spends more time in tracking
down a working email or postal address.

--
Adrian Wontroba