UKUG mail list, spam and viruses, etc.

Dimitrios sehh at altered.com
Tue May 11 17:52:40 BST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004 16:50:42 +0100 "Josef Karthauser" <joe at tao.org.uk> wrote:

> I've reimplemented my anti-spam measures courtesy of MailScanner, and
> added clamav anti virus filtering in the process.  Hopefully this will
> cut down the amount of noise sent to this list.

i'm using clamav and spamassassin on my servers.

i update clamav (cron job) twice a day (its a 24/7 server)

i also have a 20.000 spam database which i use to 'sa-learn'
spamassassin, which gives me less than 1% of missed spam
and 0% of false possitives.

> I'm not yet throwing spam away, but it will at least be marked.

no problem if the list is closed.

> If everything looks ok then I propose reopening the list so that
> non-subscribers can email it again.  Any thoughts?

i personaly think that an open mailing list is a bad idea.