Delay sendmail?

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Mon May 10 17:59:46 BST 2004

tom at kmem.org wrote:

>>On Sun, May 09, 2004 at 11:54:00PM +0100, Grant wrote:
>>

>>>Ummmm yea sounds a good idea about replacing sendmail... but i am
>>>not sure if i can... as i was using as part of XMail..... so i
>>>assumed i needed it for that...
>>>
>>>i dont quite follow on that DNS thing you said about, would that get
>>>rid of it trying to lookup things at startup even if the network
>>>card isnt up yet?
>>>

>>I'll precis what your options are as I see them:
>>
>>* Configure sendmail so that it doesn't do DNS lookups when started.
>>
>>* Configure sendmail so that it starts later in the boot process.
>>
>>* Run a nameserver locally so that the lookups are resolved.
>>
>>* Dump sendmail for another MTA.
>>

>>I can't help you with 1 because I don't know if it can be done with
>>Sendmail. It could be a case of just flushing your queue - it could be
>>doing NS lookups because there's a bit of mail wedged in the queue.
>>
>>2 probably can be done but I haven't got Sendmail installed so I can
>>neither test nor help.
>>
>>For 3 I suggest running pdnsd. You then don't need a network
>>connection to resolve cached addresses and because of that you don't
>>need a network connection.
>>
>>4 is a decision for you ie. will another MTA meet my featureset. It
>>may well do DNS lookups also. Qmail does if it wants to sends mail to
>>another host.
>>
>>What you do is dependent on your skills and your needs and without
>>further info it's difficult to recommend any one course of action
>>that's best for you.
>>
>>I'm off cycling now but will be back in the evening if you've got
>>other questions :)
>>
>>Figure out Sendmail problems or go out cycling in the
>>sun....decisions, decisions.....;)
>>
>>--
>>
>> Frank
>>
>>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^
>>     PGP key: http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/misc/pgp-key.txt
>>^^^^^                                                          ^^^^^
>>~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^

>Perhaps just editing  /etc/hosts and putting appropriate entires may help
>

>Tom

I tried the editing the /etc/hosts file but i still seem to have the
problem...

I kind of have a new question now, i was thinking that i needed sendmail
for xmail... but today i forgot to start it after the network card and i
was still able to send emails... so is it starting sendmail on its own
when needed or is it using something different?

Thanks
Grant.