Resizing FreeBSD slices

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Mon Mar 29 22:25:58 BST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 03:39:51PM +0100, Henrik Morsing wrote:

> > On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 02:29:24PM +0100, Jon Schneider wrote:
> >> Why oh why do people still do this stupid partitioning thing when
> >> there is only one disk ?
>
> Why oh why do people only create / when it just ends up giving them
> problems...
>
> Keeping /, /var, /tmp, /usr and /home seperate makes life so much easier.

Really should be:

	software (in /)
	data	 (in /var, /home, or /application-specific)
	logs	 (in /var/log)
	tmp	 (in swap)

I see no real difference between / and /usr: it should all be
restorable-from-install-media or config-in-revision-control-system.
I suspect that any performance benifits from having the sperate
(as argued in tuning(7) will be minimal).  Has anyone got any
benchmarks, or is Matt Dillion inspired Lore?

/tmp is the same as swap: temprorary stuff you don't care about
long-term.   Swap-backed mfs (or the 5.x equivilent) is sane, here,
as is a newfs-on-every-boot partition.  Or - conventionally - a
normal fileystem. Choose which is sensible for your application
domain, considering how likely your users are to complain when a
chunk of data disappears from /tmp when the machine crashes.  This
is likely to depend on your users, and the stability of the machine
- which is also likely to depend on your users!

logs are worth keeping on a seperate parition as it makes a
log-spamming DOS take out your logs, not your application.

Data should be on a sperate partition, if for no other reason than
it makes your backup strategy easier.  It also makes it easier to
upgrade the software:  you /can/ newfs the software paritions
when upgrading, if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Mike

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.