Resizing FreeBSD slices

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Mon Mar 29 14:29:24 BST 2004

Doesn't quite answer your question but if you have plenty of space
elsewhere then in a quiet moment (preferably single user mode) move one
directory containing the expanding bulk and install a suitable symbolic
link. I seem to have to do this to a lot of servers.

Personally I always split a disk into / and swap and nothing else. Why oh
why do people still do this stupid partitioning thing when there is only
one disk ? The normal reason given is to do with repairing one of them
which doesn't justify it in my opinion since one will dwarf the others
anyway and either does or doesn't need restoring. It's also nice to have
the largest possible area for restoring (bits of) backups and not have to
think about which partition to use. The only good reason is for different
filesystems or mount options like for example making  /, /usr (but not
tmp of course) read only.

Jon