Resizing FreeBSD slices

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Mon Mar 29 14:12:01 BST 2004

On Mon, Mar 29, 2004 at 12:21:20PM +0100, Yani Karydis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Does anybody know if Partition Magic (floppy disk boot) can recognise and
> resize UFS partitions?
> Or any other tool can effectively reallocate space between slices (without
> having to dump the slices and reinstall the OS)?

I don't know but growfs(8) exists which I've never used.

> I'm running a FreeBSD 5.2 mail server and as a newbie managed to create a
> very small /var slice which is running out of space fast!

What you could do is move /var to a slice that has more space. E.g:

# mkdir /usr/var
# cd /var
# tar cf - . | (cd /usr/var; tar xf - )
# cd /
# rm -rf /var
# ln -s /usr/var /var

That assumes /usr has plenty of space. This would best be done when
not much writing is being done to /var as anything written between
step 3 & 6 will be lost.

Or alternatively create another slice if there's room on your HD.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019