SCSI termination (somewhat off topic maybe ?)

Pete French pete at twisted.org.uk
Fri Mar 26 15:32:05 GMT 2004

Now I thhought I understood SCSI tremination. I have  BSD box with
an Ultra 160 drive attached, and the drive comes up as 160 fine.
If I turn off termination on the card and attach an external drive with
a terminator then both drives come up as 40.

I tried some experiments- in the end just turning off termination on
the card and plugginthe teminator inon the back. Drive comes up at 40!

Bad terminator ? Nope - have now tried three different ones. All ahve the
same effect. All are LVD active terminators.

I am assuming that Ultra 120 speeds arent just for internal drives with
termination on the cable are they ? I cannot figure out whats up here.
ANy clues ? The internal card is an Adaptec 29160 and I am running
5.2.1-RELEASE on amd64

-bat.