C1533A SCSI DAT Drive, can't exceed 4GB

Kel Graham kel at orawia.com
Fri Mar 26 11:54:30 GMT 2004

Pete French said:
>> The drive is rated as being able to write 4GB uncompressed and 8GB
>> compressed. I realise that compression doesn't imply I'll actually get
>> 8GB
>> of storage, but something greater than 4GB would be nice.
>
> What type of data are you writing to the drive ? If you are puttting lots
> of MPEG movies onto it then the chances of you seeing any compression are
> very slim, whereas if you are archiving text files it should show a
> lot more.
>
> -bat.

I don't have any mpegs, or other large already-compressed files; and I'd
say that most of what I'm backing up is text (homedirs, etc).

When I do an 'mt status' I get the following:
/root> mt status
Mode      Density              Blocksize      bpi      Compression
Current:  0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------available modes---------
0:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
1:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
2:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
3:        0x24:DDS-2           variable       61000    DCLZ
---------------------------------
Current Driver State: at rest.
File Number: 0  Record Number: 0        Residual Count 0

So the drive is showing that compress is turned on, however in my most
recent backup (this morning) I only managed to get 3.5GB backed up. The
file the backup stopped on (waiting for tape #2) was a 3Mb pdf document,
so it's not like it was a massive file that would break the 4GB barrier..

Strange!

Maybe I should just get a newer/bigger drive...

Cheers,
Kel.