Help/advice required setting up a local mail server

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 11:01:08 GMT 2004

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 01:00:24AM +0000, Martin Smith wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 19, 2004 at 04:55:19PM +0000, Mark Ovens wrote:
> > I guess there's plenty of people here who have this setup so it seems
> > like the best place to ask for advice and/or pointers to URLs with
> > useful info.
> >
> > After building a new machine for a friend she has offered me her old one
> > if I have a use for it. AFAICR it is a 300MHz Cyrix 586, 32Mbyte RAM,
> > 1.2Gbyte HDD. This seems to be an ideal machine for implementing an idea
> > I've been toying with for a while now, which is to setup a local POP3
> > server.
>

> You will probably find that the processor runs at 233, but that will
> be fine, I would recommend a new psu and as much ram as you can get
> into it, I have one the same with 128meg in an office with about 12
> users. It runs 4.8 with fetchmail in multidrop mode, postfix and
> qpopper, I use header checks in postfix to get rid of any executable
> attachments, and leave them to sort out the spam. You can add
> leafnode for news. It is an incredibly reliable setup, it just runs.
> I have port 22 forwarded on their router so I can get to it without
> going over there.  Quick and easy to set up, satisfying to use and
> secure, what more do you need?

I use/used Leafnode and can recommend it also. I did get my mail via
SMTP but now use getmail (easier to configure than fetchmail IMO), MTA
is qmail and I used to use the pop3d that comes with it. I use pdnsd
as a caching name server.

You should find your machine fine for most things. The workstation I'm
typing this on is 300MHz but with 192 cf 32 meg, as I run bloatware
such as X and Firebird.

> If you want to run amavis antivirus you will want a bit more processing power.
> >
> > Finally, can a FreeBSD machine act as a network print server for Windows
> > machines? My printer is a Lexmark X83 (USB) all-in-one which I think is
> > a GDI device (Winprinter) and my main machine that it is connected to
> > dual-boots XP and -CURRENT. At the moment the other machine can only use
> > the printer when it is running XP. I was going to get a network print
> > server but if I add this new server I'll run out of ports on the switch.

Since you're running Windows also, you may want to investigate what Samba
can do for you.

[snipped around a bit]

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.
 Tel: 01423 323019
     ---------
PGP keyID: 0xC0B341A3

http://www.esperance-linux.co.uk/

     Bread is often a "gateway" food item, leading the user to
"harder" items such as butter, jelly, peanut butter and even cold cuts.