adsl modem recommendations please

Jim Hatfield subscriber at insignia.com
Tue Mar 16 10:15:34 GMT 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 20:39:24 -0000, in local.freebsd.uk-usergroup you
wrote:

>> Does the browser _have_ to be on the firewall? I can gain access to
>> my Motorola Surfboard cable modem via an RFC1918 address from anywhere
>> on the LAN.  I don't want to have to run X-windows on the gateway and
>> I presume it would be too tricky to configure using Lynx.
>
>Yes! It took me a fight to get this thing to work.
>
>I *only* lets the computer who's MAC address configured it, connect to
>the
>network. I tried fooling it by NAT'ing through my gateway but it would
>have none of if. At the end I set up a proxy on the gateway which made
>the
>"modem" think I was connecting through the gateway.
>
>The D-Link 300G+ is basically built for single PC systems which want to
>connect directly to the Internet and for this it is brilliant.

As well as using 192.168.0.1, once it has got your IP address from the
ISP, it assigns itself the "next one up". It also gives you
255.255.255.0 as a netmask, and proxy-arps for all addresses except
the one it has given you.

The irritating thing about it is that the DHCP leases it gives out are
only 30 seconds long, so your log files get a bit contaminated.

Mine ceased working on the hottest day of last year but was fine after
a spell powered down and has been OK since.

jim