adsl modem recommendations please

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Mon Mar 15 20:39:24 GMT 2004

> >You need a graphical browser like mozilla on your firewall to set it up.
>
> Does the browser _have_ to be on the firewall? I can gain access to
> my Motorola Surfboard cable modem via an RFC1918 address from anywhere
> on the LAN.  I don't want to have to run X-windows on the gateway and
> I presume it would be too tricky to configure using Lynx.

Yes! It took me a fight to get this thing to work.

I *only* lets the computer who's MAC address configured it, connect to the
network. I tried fooling it by NAT'ing through my gateway but it would
have none of if. At the end I set up a proxy on the gateway which made the
"modem" think I was connecting through the gateway.

The D-Link 300G+ is basically built for single PC systems which want to
connect directly to the Internet and for this it is brilliant.

Cheers
Henrik Morsing