Another ports / packages question

Chris Rodgers freebsd-users-uk at bulk.rodgers.org.uk
Sat Jun 26 00:08:23 BST 2004

Hi

I have a FreeBSD box at home which acts as a dial-up server and runs a few
little things for me. It's running 5.1-RELEASE and I don't see any pressing
reason to upgrade at the moment. However, I am not sure what to do about the
ports. I CVSup'ed them recently, but this now means that my ports tree has
got ahead of the binary packages available on the FreeBSD servers. Since the
machine is old and rather slow, this is making adding any new software a
painful process! :-)

What should I do? Do I put my ports tree back to the one in 5.1-RELEASE and
just use the packages from the CD back then, is there some alternative
download site for packages for older OS versions, or is it easy to build the
packages on a faster machine and then just install them on the slow one (how
closely must the configurations of these two machines match each other)?

Many thanks in advance for your help / suggestions

Chris Rodgers.