Checking domain ns records are pointing to us

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Fri Jun 18 17:13:23 BST 2004

Just query the root-servers [a-j?].root-servers.net
and follow the recursive answers.

"dig @a.root-server.net ns tigeri.com" then query
one of the name server for that TLD i.e

"dig @a.gtld-servers.net ns tigeri.com"

for example

dnstracer in ports is nice as well as it
handles all the recursion that a resolver
would use, for you.

"dnstracer -s . -o -q ns tigeri.com"

for example will tell you what all caching
resolvers should be returning modulo any
recent changes. Note that all caching
resolvers don't necessarily use the NS
servers the root servers tell them to.

Cheers,