Checking domain ns records are pointing to us

Matt Dawson matt at mattsnetwork.co.uk
Fri Jun 18 13:11:28 BST 2004

On Friday 18 Jun 2004 12:00, Dave Tiger wrote:
> Is the a way of checking that each domain we host has its ns record =
> pointing
> to us without having to nslookup -q=3Dns domain.com each one.

# dig mx <yourdomain> |grep "IN MX"

This command returns the MX records in order of priority. For those with only
one MX record, it will return one line. You could use this in a shell script
to check against your mail server for each domain you wish to check, and with
a little sed-ing, create a cron job to report on only those that do not match
the specified pattern.
--
Matt Dawson.