TERM and SSH

David Jenkins jaco2001uk at ntlworld.com
Sat Jun 12 18:26:05 BST 2004

Matthew Seaman wrote:

>Well, they are all related, but a) you probably don't need all of
>them, unless you need to support Russian or Greek or other character
>sets, or you want to run your FreeBSD console at other than 25x30
>characters.
>
>You always need the 'cons25w' entry, as everything else is based off
>that.  You need the 'cons25' entry (which is the default) and that's
>probably all you need.
>
>However, it doesn't cost you much to just grab all of the consXXy
>entries and run them through captoinfo in one shot.
>

>>Do I need to create a file with all of these in?
>>

>Yes.  Just take a copy of /etc/termcap and delete everything outside
>the section dealing with the cons terminal types.  Copy that over to
>your Linux box, process it through captoinfo, directing the result to
>a file 'cons.tinfo', and install that in the appropriate place in the
>terminfo directory and you should be good to go.
>
>	Cheers,
>
>	Matthew

Thanks for the reply Matthew. I have tried what you suggested but
something seemed to go wrong when running captoinfo.

I removed all non cons25 references from my copy of /etc/termcap - I
left *all* of the cons25 and variations of in there.

I copied this to my Linux machine, called it termcap and ran

$ captoinfo termcap > cons25.tinfo

This give a lot of errors to stdout and also created a *text file*
called cons25.tinfo

I checked the other files in /etc/terminfo and these appear to be binary
files, so I've obviously done something wrong :-(

All 3 files can be viewed here:
http://www.xinit.net/termcap/error.txt
http://www.xinit.net/termcap/termcap.txt
http://www.xinit.net/termcap/cons25.tinfo.txt