TERM and SSH

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 10:55:26 BST 2004

--f0KYrhQ4vYSV2aJu

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:24:23PM +0100, David Jenkins wrote:
=20
> After reading your advice I found this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-questions@freebsd.org/msg11703.html
>=20
> Which basically says to copy the cons25 terminal descriptions from the=20
> FreeBSD --> Linux box?

Yes.
=20
> I hope I'm not being too stupid but how exactly would I go about doing=20
> this because after reading /etc/termcap there seem to be an awful lot of=
=20
> references to cons25(*).
> i.e.
> cons25w
> cons25-m
>=20
> etc ...
>=20
> I assume they are all related and that each depends on the other??

Well, they are all related, but a) you probably don't need all of
them, unless you need to support Russian or Greek or other character
sets, or you want to run your FreeBSD console at other than 25x30
characters.

You always need the 'cons25w' entry, as everything else is based off
that.  You need the 'cons25' entry (which is the default) and that's
probably all you need.

However, it doesn't cost you much to just grab all of the consXXy
entries and run them through captoinfo in one shot.
=20
> Do I need to create a file with all of these in?

Yes.  Just take a copy of /etc/termcap and delete everything outside
the section dealing with the cons terminal types.  Copy that over to
your Linux box, process it through captoinfo, directing the result to
a file 'cons.tinfo', and install that in the appropriate place in the
terminfo directory and you should be good to go.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way