Email auto responder question ?

Robert Myles rob at rexfeatures.com
Mon Jun 7 13:22:31 BST 2004

Dave

Cyrus IMAP includes Sieve which does server-side mail filtering.

There is documentation here:

http://www.cyrusoft.com/sieve/

and there are man pages for the utilities to install and manipulate sieve
scripts:

installsieve
sievshell

and some docs are installed with the port:

/usr/local/share/doc/cyrus-imapd2/

I've never used these utilities - I use Mulberry as my mail client which
has support for sieve scripts built in. It talks to timsieved(8)

I tested vacation responses with sieve very briefly. It was a while ago,
but it worked. Here's an example:

require ["vacation"];
vacation
       :days 1
       :addresses ["joe at bloggs.com"]
       :subject "Out of the office"
       "I will be out of the office Friday, July 19 through Wednesday, July
24. In an emergency, you can call 2-xxxx and ask to speak to Dr. John Doe.
Otherwise, I will respond to your email after I return on the 25th.";

The white space is important!

HTH

Rob