Domain name usage question ?

Kevin O'Connor kevin at ziptek-technologies.co.uk
Fri Jun 4 22:02:56 BST 2004

FreeBSD

> > 4.7
> >
> >>that shows pages for www.example.com (not real domain name) but how
do

> >>adjust the system to accept just example.com (without the www) to
show

> > the
> >
> >>pages www.example.com dose.
> >>
> >>I cant quite work out how to do it from the docs and so I ask the
list

> > if
> >
> >>someone could help me with and explanation on how to do this please.
> >>
> >>Thank you in advance for any help, examples or guidance with this.
> >>
> >>Dave Carrera
> >>
> >>---
> >

> > I hate to say this but what you are trying will confuse DNS.  Your
DNS
> > server is setup to be authoritative for the domain example.com  a
node
> > cannot have the same name as the domain. named.conf should have an
entry
> > Like
> > Zone "examble.org" {
> > type master;
> > file "example.org"
> >
> > what you are attempting to do is add a node called example to the
domain
> > .org which is a root zone.
> > So all in all a bad idea. If you try it on the internet you will
find
> > http://somedomain.com redirected to http://www.somedomain.com
> > If you could tell us why you want to do this perhaps a more
appropriate
> > solution could be suggested.
> >
> > Regards
> > Kevin

>Is it not an alias or a pointer which needs to be created to direct
>www.example.com to example.com??

To quote directly from RFC 1035

"if a domain name has a CNAME record associated with it, then it can not
have any other record types. In addition, CNAME records should not point
to domain names which themselves have associated CNAME records, so CNAME
only provides one layer of indirection."

Technically this means you can create a CNAME to "example.org" but it
will probably break because of more than 1 record type pointing to the
zone eg. MX

It all depends on how many servers are available. For the above to work
you would need at lest 3, 2 running DNS one of which also acts as a mail
server and a dedicated web server doing nothing else so you could get
away with the 1 CNAME, trouble with that is you'd have to call it www
and not CNAME www which is the standard practice. BTW I'm assuming that
we are looking at a "real" domain here with a block of public IP
addresses, hence the 2 DNS servers
Regards
Kevin