Domain name usage question ?

Ceri Davies ceri at submonkey.net
Fri Jun 4 18:36:10 BST 2004

--0qt3EE9wi45a2ZFX

On Fri, Jun 04, 2004 at 10:09:13AM +0100, Dave Tiger wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>=20
> I have done this and restarted bind / apache to make the changes active b=
ut
> something is not working.
>=20
> Http.conf
>=20
> example.com IN A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> www IN CNAME example.com.

That doesn't belong in httpd.conf - if incrementing the serial on the
zone and reloading it still doesn't allow you to ping example.com then
post your zonefile please (mangle it with s/foo.net/example.com/g if you
must, but I'd prefer it if you didn't).

> Virtual host
> =20
> ServerName www.example.com
> ServerAlias www.example.com example.com
>=20
> Could it be the ServerName ?

You don't need www.example.com listed in the ServerAlias, though I doubt
it would do any harm.  What does httpd -ST say?

Ceri
--=20
It is not tinfoil, it is my new skin.  I am a robot.

--0qt3EE9wi45a2ZFX

--0qt3EE9wi45a2ZFX--