Encryption

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Sat Jul 31 14:35:29 BST 2004

Mike Bristow wrote:

>On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 11:38:12AM +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>You say about two partitions, i dont quite understand why you would put
>>the lock file on the same drive, surly if its stolen people could just
>>use that lock file to decrypt the drive ? i dont quite understand its use.
>>

>No, because the thief would need to know your passphrase.  All of the
>security in gdbe is in the passphrase.  Pick a good one!
>

>>Oh and about the yanking it out when ever i want, i guess if i do
>>encrypt the drive i will just have to be move careful and remember to
>>unmount.
>>

>& detatch!

Hi,

So i could leave that lock file ANYwhere and people could view and do
what they want with it ? but they wouldnt be able to use it without my
passphrase.. sounds good :)

Oh yea and detatch :) forgot about that... oh dear i am allready
forgetting... maybe i should make up a simple script so all i have to do
is type something simple and it will detatch and unmount the drive for me.

Anyways i think i will give it a try, it sounds quite good and easy,
well the handbook makes it look easy ;) we shall see.

Thanks for your help.
Grant.