Encryption

Grant orbman at thingysrealm.myftp.org
Sat Jul 31 11:38:12 BST 2004

Mike Bristow wrote:

>On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:29:15PM +0100, Grant wrote:
>

>>Ok,
>>
>>I just have a looke through the handbook and found
>>
>>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html
>>
>>that seems to make it look quite simple :)
>>

>[ GDBE ]
>

>>ummm just that i dont know what filesystem to use on the drive now...
>>and would that page be compatible with USB2 drives ? i suppose if it
>>see's it as a drive it will encrypt it?
>>

>Yes, that's right.  It basically turns /dev/usbdisk0 into
>/dev/encryptedusbdisk0.
>
>Although in this case, I think I'd partition the disk into two parts:
>one to hold the lock file, and one to hold the encrypted data.
>

>>does it matter about FS ?
>>

>Nope.
>
>But your original post talked about wanting to mount the disk on
>linux, too:   I doubt that's possible with a GDBE encrypted disk.
>I also have no idea how just yanking the disk out of the USB bus
>will work with GDBE; while the UFS layer will be happy enough the
>encryption bit might get upset.

Hi,

You say about two partitions, i dont quite understand why you would put
the lock file on the same drive, surly if its stolen people could just
use that lock file to decrypt the drive ? i dont quite understand its use.

I had a think about the part where i want to move between linux and
freebsd, i saw somewhere on a forum saying that it might be possible, i
will see if i can find anymore out about it, if not what i could do is
make a kinda of temp area so when i am moving to linux, i copy what i
want to the temp part, then move and copy/use the temp area and delete
it after. but that kinda of defeats the use of encrypting i guess.

Oh and about the yanking it out when ever i want, i guess if i do
encrypt the drive i will just have to be move careful and remember to
unmount.

Thanks again
Grant.