Encryption

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Sat Jul 31 11:12:05 BST 2004

On Fri, Jul 30, 2004 at 10:29:15PM +0100, Grant wrote:
> Ok,
>
> I just have a looke through the handbook and found
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/disks-encrypting.html
>
> that seems to make it look quite simple :)

[ GDBE ]

> ummm just that i dont know what filesystem to use on the drive now...
> and would that page be compatible with USB2 drives ? i suppose if it
> see's it as a drive it will encrypt it?

Yes, that's right.  It basically turns /dev/usbdisk0 into
/dev/encryptedusbdisk0.

Although in this case, I think I'd partition the disk into two parts:
one to hold the lock file, and one to hold the encrypted data.

> does it matter about FS ?

Nope.

But your original post talked about wanting to mount the disk on
linux, too:   I doubt that's possible with a GDBE encrypted disk.
I also have no idea how just yanking the disk out of the USB bus
will work with GDBE; while the UFS layer will be happy enough the
encryption bit might get upset.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.