Home Dir's

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Fri Jul 23 15:49:57 BST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 15:24, Grant wrote:
> I got a few pc's around the house and i was reading in the handbook
that
> you can use NFS to share the home dir's over it, so that where ever
> people login they can have their home dir... i have read and read the
> handbook section about NFS but i still dont really understand how to
do it.

There are several pieces to the puzzle. Firstly you use NIS to make sure
people can log in anywhere. If you don't use NIS then you have to make
sure account information (like uids and gids) is consistent throughout.
If it isn't now you'll be using chown lots after fixing it.

For getting home directories to be there the simplest option is to have
just one /home on the server then NFS mount that on the client machines.
That'll give grief if the server is not reliable. A more complicated set
up might have home directories splattered about the place then
automounted.

If you get to know the automounter there are example setups in the
documentation from what I remember.

> Oh and the clients are a mixture of freebsd and linux machines, the
> server is running 5.2.1

(No problem)

I've worked at companies with a mixture of sparcs, HP workstations,
linux, bsd boxen and the most general distributed home, local
binariesand automounting setup. It does work well. Compared to other
companies with a set of say linux machines where you spend half your
time getting all your personal dot files copied around and finding that
machines don't all have the same tools available.

Jon