MySql PORT make options

Antony T Curtis antony.t.curtis at ntlworld.com
Wed Jul 21 17:45:08 BST 2004

On Tue, 2004-07-20 at 12:29, Dave Tiger wrote:
> Hi List,
>
> In the make file for mysql40-server it has options for extras in the make
> line

<snip>

> Which ones would you suggest I should use to get speed and theading working
> ok on freebsd 4.7
>
> I was thinking BUILD_OPTIMIZED=yes BUILD_STATIC=yes but thatÿs just me
> guessing.

If you are running on an SMP machine, you may benefit with linuxthreads.
IMO, Static doesn't buy you much except from fractionally faster load
times.

Compiler optimizations would get you more benefits - so if you were to
install the gcc33 port and use that to compile MySQL, it will be faster
than using the 2.95 system compiler.

> The server will do only 1 job which is be the db for mydns which I will be
> install so itÿs the backend for dns if that helps.

You should be fine with only BUILD_OPTIMIZED.

<snip>

Alternatively, you can build MySQL manually from the source tarball or
from the BitKeeper repository - this will give you finer control. For
example, you can enable/disable BDB, InnoDB etc.

--
Antony T Curtis, BSc.			UNIX, Linux, *BSD, Networking
antony.t.curtis at ntlworld.com		C++, J2EE, Perl, MySQL, Apache