MyDNS and MySql Questions

Phil John phil at budgetwebdesign.biz
Wed Jul 21 14:42:04 BST 2004

There shouldn't be any problem with those two co-existing as you've got
them segmented onto 2 distinct ip's.

As for the MySQL from ports, here's a few tips:

I don't know if the port is fully optimised, it probably errs on the
side of caution (and stability).

You can get faster response and lower loads by turning on query caching
with MySQL 4.x, this can be done by editing /etc/my.cnf to look somewhat
like this:

[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
query_cache_type=1                              <--- add this
query_cache_size=10m                         <---- and this

I run 23 servers, the biggest of which is doing ~800 GB per month of
traffic, a large proportion on dynamically generated content - lots of
db calls.  The load on the server never goes too high, partly because of
query caching.

The other performance tip is to link using -static, read about it here:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Compile_and_link_options.html

Also, general optimisation tips:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_Optimisation.html

Hope that all helps!