What seems like a very silly CUPS question

Robert Myles rob at rexfeatures.com
Wed Jul 21 13:31:58 BST 2004

Pete

Just been there.

You can make your cups server listen for remote lpd connects by adding

# CUPS lpd support
printer stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/libexec/cups/daemon/cups-lpd
cups-lpd

to your inetd.conf

You then have to set up entries in /etc/printcap on the machines you want
to use the CUPS server. Annoying if it is lots of machines and/or lots of
printers.

I found a better solution was to install cups on the client machines and
enable the polling feature of cups.

In cupsd.conf:

#
# BrowsePoll: poll the named server(s) for printers
#
BrowsePoll cups_server.example.com:631

You don't need to set up any printers on the client machines and any
changes/new printers on the main CUPS server will automagically appear in
the client printcap. Works well.

You need to allow the client machines access to CUPS for IPP printing on
the main cups server.

HTH

Rob