[Fwd: Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)]

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Sat Jan 31 19:29:45 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 03:36:28PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > > I'm also rather surprised that an MTA hasn't been written in Java,
> > > certainly no popular ones AFAIK. Is it just that it's considered too
> > > slow still?
> >
> > Apache James (http://james.apache.org).  It is to an MTA what
> > tomcat is to web servers.
>
> Thanks. That looks like a really interesting development which really
> leverages Java. Shame it's not in ports, if I find the time I might
> download it and play around with it.

I spent a long time packagizing it at work (for Solaris, RedHat,
and FreeBSD) and came to the conclusion that it's a nightmare.

It has a list of dependacies as long as your arm, they only give you
the .jars (and not, for example, a list of what the dependancies
are and what versions are required); frequently the dependancies
were pre-release; when they weren't pre-release getting the source
buildable source was a pain (either because they didn't dish out
source tarbals, or they were missing necessary things - like
the build.xml - which were in the CVS respository, or they were
burried 95 pages deep on the website).

Not that I'm bitter about it.

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.