[Fwd: Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)]

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Sat Jan 31 18:12:32 GMT 2004

On 31 Jan 2004, at 00:27, Frank Shute wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 10:50:02PM +0000, gerald davies wrote:
>>
>> postfix was made up of small binaries and stuff.  not touched exim
>> and as
>> for java...
>
> I've heard good things about postfix, I don't know how it stands on
> the vulnerabilities front. If it's to fall in line with my hypothesis
> then it should be few.

As a big fan of postfix, I'll just point out that qmail and postfix
have nearly identical architectural philosophies, but that postfix is
a bit more "common sense" and is a bit easier to manage than qmail
especially with respect to log parsing. Qmail logs are almost completely
unintelligible if you don't know what you're looking for.

Note that Wietse Venema (author/maintainer of postfix) co-authored
both "SATAN" and "The Coroner's Toolkit", both well-known
UNIX network security tools, so he's no slouch at security
considerations.
FWIW, I believe that Wietse is a bit of a *BSD man as well.

Personally, I can't ever imagine using anything but postfix and Cyrus
for mail solutions (as a couple of others have suggested as well), but
everyone has a good reason for their favourite tools.

- Mark