[Fwd: Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)]

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sat Jan 31 15:36:28 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 10:08:04AM +0000, Mike Bristow wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004 at 08:18:40PM +0000, Frank Shute wrote:
> > I was taught that when developing software you should try and avoid
> > that as much as possible as it makes it difficult to white/black box
> > test your software. A more desirable setup is to break your
> > application up into a number of different processes and use IPC which
> > subsequently makes development easier and the subsequent application
> > less prone to error and security problems.
>
> The downside is often efficency.

Yes, I can see that. I guess in terms of MTAs, Sendmails inefficiency
as compared with qmail or postfix is to do with it carrying a pile of
legacy code/kludges and using mailboxes rather than maildirs.

> > I'm also rather surprised that an MTA hasn't been written in Java,
> > certainly no popular ones AFAIK. Is it just that it's considered too
> > slow still?
>
> Apache James (http://james.apache.org).  It is to an MTA what
> tomcat is to web servers.

Thanks. That looks like a really interesting development which really
leverages Java. Shame it's not in ports, if I find the time I might
download it and play around with it.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.