[Fwd: Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)]

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Fri Jan 30 08:57:56 GMT 2004

--------------090805080707040909070702

oops - wrong reply to button hit :-)
--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator
Solid State Logic
Tel: +44 (0)1865 842300

the system manager.

--------------090805080707040909070702
 filename="Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)"

Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004 08:57:12 +0000
From: Martin Hepworth <martinh at solid-state-logic.com>
To: Frank Shute <frank at esperance-linux.co.uk>
Subject: Re: ms Exchange alternative (Dovecot)

Frank Shute wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 05:13:15PM -0000, Mark Stewart wrote:
>
>>I'm using uw-imapd + sendmail at home and get about 500 - 1000 mails
>>a day - collecting these from outlook using IMAP is very sluggish
>>and takes about 5 mins.
>>
>>I am running a p133 32 ram mailserver though :)
>>
>>I have never used dovecot - i'll do a quick install from the ports
>>this week and see how it compares ... however I think most admins
>>use uw-imapd !
>

> Maybe a greater part of the slowness problem is Sendmail. I ran Qmail
> on a 486 with < 8 Mb & there were no slowness problems. BTW, Qmail is
> still on the same release it was some 5 yrs ago hence it hasn't
> suffered from bloat since. I don't know if the same can be said of
> Sendmail.

an alternative maybe exim, which is much faster than sendmail, but is
still runs around 4MB of 'size' in top..prob around the same size once
you've added up all the qmail daemon and the multiple exim's that run
using shared resources.

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator