ms Exchange alternative

Robert Myles rob at rexfeatures.com
Wed Jan 28 21:16:35 GMT 2004

--On Tuesday, January 27, 2004 18:31:15 +0000 James Read
<james at physicalsegment.com> wrote:

> Simon Dick wrote:
>> On Tue, 2004-01-27 at 14:14, Sam wrote:
>>> Yep, postfix + cyrus is definitely a winner. As for groupware, if you
>>> find one that really works, please let me know ;)
>>
>> Have to admit, I like exim and dovecot
>

> Yep yep , same setup here, Exim and Dovecot, does the job easy as pie,
> doesnt take long to setup, all maildir'ed up. Main use of exim is its easy
> to get going, doesnt have any dependances like qmail does (as in ucspi-tcp
> etc) and also that it does server side mail filtering (like Communigate
> does), also have mailscanner and f-prot installed from the ports so that
> it scans for 'viruses' and all that lark.
>
> I'm not aware if qmail does this or even postfix for that matter - can
> anyone comment on server side mta/imap filtering apart from the use of
> procmail and its scary syntax?

Postfix has header and body checks based on regular expressions which work
well. I have only used them for refusing mail, not for directing it
anywhere, but it can probably be made to do that.

You can also filter mail with a system external to Postfix. Incoming mail
can be passed to stdin of a program and accepted back from stdout.
Alternatively (preferably?) incoming mail can be passed to an SMTP listener
which does the filtering and passes it back to Postfix by SMTP for
delivery. This works well - I've used it with a commercial smtp-based
antivirus system, but using amavisd-new (in ports), f-prot and/or spam
assassin shouldn't be too hard.

Cyrus imap does server-side mail filtering. It uses the Sieve mail
filtering language (RFC 3028). Sieve syntax isn't pretty, but it is
understandable.

As you may have guessed, I vote for Postfix + Cyrus IMAP.

Rob