network performance measuring

Mark Blackman mark at blackmans.org
Tue Jan 27 07:22:18 GMT 2004

Mark Blackman wrote:

> On 26 Jan 2004, at 21:04, Duncan Barclay wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> We've (a company I'm involved with) had a satellite network link
>> installed
>> in the past few weeks (office in the middle of nowhere) but it
>> doesn't seem
>> very "broadband". In fact, the throughput seems really bad.
>>
>> As such I'd like to gather some statistics about the data going over the
>> link so that we can "question" our supplier.
>>
>> Any recommendations as to good point testing tools and tools to log
>> traffic
>> on the link over a period of time and to extract useful measures from
>> it.
>

> To make sure you're actually using the available bandwidth,
> you want to ensure the use of very large TCP window sizes for
> both reception and transmission on every client. This is an
> essential tuning step for a high bandwidth, high latency connection.

An important caveat that I left out is that this will only
make best use of whatever TCP send/receive window
the machine on the other side is using. If the other end
is using 4k windows, your settings won't help.

> You'll have RTT around 500ms or worse I'd guess and so
> you want at least 64k bytes in both directions (if not more).
>
> In summary, the TCP window size is the number of bytes
> before an ACK+window update packet of some variety must be seen. For
> FreeBSD..
>
> sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
> sysctl -w net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535

FreeBSD out-of-the-box tends to come with 64k and 40k respectively,
so a FreeBSD box won't necessarily need tuning. You can set this
according to the old classic 2*[one-way delay]*[bandwidth.]