Disc Imaging

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Mon Jan 26 14:58:30 GMT 2004

"Steve Greenshaw" <steve at softgreen.co.uk> wrote:

> I'm wondering if anybody can point me in the direction of some sort of
> system duplication utility? By that I mean a complete image of my system on
> a physically seperate hot-swappable disc (disc to disc duplication) that
> could be used as a remotely stored 'spare'.

If you have identical disks (ie. exact same geometry) you can use 'dd',
otherwise it gets more complicated and you have to copy the data on a
partition by partition basis..  which is I suspect where Ghost falls
down, because it probably doesn't "know" how to interrogate BSD ufs
partitions.

-Paul-

--
Paul Civati <paul.civati(at)xensia.com> www.xensia.net
Xensia, London UK - Quality UK Hosting Services - 0870 321 2855