ramdisk for FreeBSD 4.8

Martin Hepworth martinh at solid-state-logic.com
Fri Jan 23 12:22:45 GMT 2004

Hi

I'm trying to get a ram disk setup on my 4.8 system. I'm trying to
replicate the tmpfs filesystem on GNU/Linux, but from what I can see
FreeBSD ramdisks are a fixed size.

anyway I've done a small one (!) with the following..

1) dd if=/dev/zero of=newimage bs=1k count=5k
2) vnconfig -s labels -c vn0 newimage
3) disklabel -r -w vn0 auto
4) newfs vn0c
5) dd if=newimage of=/dev/md0
6) mount /dev/md0c /mnt

Obviously this is only a 5MB disk and I may need more than the 20MB by
default (prob around 64MB) so I'll either have to recompile the kernel
or if I'm lucky sysctl will have the value...Prob be better to recompile
as  it's not been done so I could comment out a load of drivers..

anyway the thing is, do I need to do item 5 and 6 on the list above when
rebooting, or can I rely on /etc/fstab to mount on boot?

--
Martin Hepworth
Snr Systems Administrator

the system manager.