Sendmail and MX records

Paul Civati paul at xciv.org
Wed Jan 21 12:30:14 GMT 2004

"Mark Stewart" <Mark.Stewart at bacs.co.uk> wrote:

> When I send a mail to bottomline.co.uk my mail server (Sendmail) always
> uses the second MX record and not the first ?
>
> When I tried this from home last night it did use the correct server
> (first MX record) but at work my sendmail server always defaults to
> the second MX.

>From the work mail server, try:

telnet mailhost.bottomline.co.uk smtp

And see if you get an SMTP connection banner, if not, there is some kind
of network problem effecting you reaching that host.

> Is there something I can change, the TTL is the same for each of the MX
> mail servers on bottomline.co.uk so there shouldn't be any time out issues.

Doesn't sound like a DNS issue.

> I did notice that I can ping the second mx server fallback.mail.pipex.net
> and not the first mailhost.bottomline.co.uk.

Possible indication of a network issue, but not necessarily, if it's behind
a firewall.

> Would ICMP traffic matter to send mail ? Not to my knowledge to now anyways ..

Nope.

-Paul-

--
Paul Civati <paul.civati(at)xensia.com> www.xensia.net
Xensia, London UK - Quality UK Hosting Services - 0870 321 2855