missing /dev/tty0

Ben Paley ben at spooty.net
Mon Feb 23 19:42:02 GMT 2004

Hello

Just recently I started vmware2 and got this error message:

Cannot open /dev/tty0: No such file or directory.
Virtual terminal initialization failed.  Perhaps your kernel is not configured
with virtual terminal support.
Failed to initialize mouse-keyboard-screen control.

I couldn't find anything on google or a trwal through the -current request
emails, so I'm reduced, once again, to asking for help. Here's some output
that I think (?!@#?) might be relevant:

su-2.05b# mount -p | grep devfs
devfs   /dev    devfs rw        0 0
su-2.05b# ls /dev/tty*
/dev/ttyd0      /dev/ttyld1     /dev/ttyv1      /dev/ttyv6      /dev/ttyvb
/dev/ttyd1      /dev/ttyp0      /dev/ttyv2      /dev/ttyv7      /dev/ttyvc
/dev/ttyid0     /dev/ttyp1      /dev/ttyv3      /dev/ttyv8      /dev/ttyvd
/dev/ttyid1     /dev/ttyp2      /dev/ttyv4      /dev/ttyv9      /dev/ttyve
/dev/ttyld0     /dev/ttyv0      /dev/ttyv5      /dev/ttyva      /dev/ttyvf
su-2.05b# uname -a
FreeBSD potato.hogsedge.net 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #6: Mon Feb  9
23:59:19 GMT 2004     root at potato.hogsedge.net:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/POTATO
i386
su-2.05b#

I'm fairly sure I've run vmware succesfully since I did the last make world
and kernel build, but not certain. In any case, I haven't made any major
changes to my config file (nothing UPDATING didn't tell me to do)

So... where's it gone? If anyone's got any idea I'd be really grateful.

Thanks,
Ben