gzip/gunzip breakage

Duncan Barclay dmlb at dmlb.org
Tue Feb 17 16:12:45 GMT 2004

Hi all,

As part of our backups we tar and gzip directories trees. Today we cause to,
erm, "test"*, the backup system and happily went over to the tar.gz and
started extracting it.

Unfortunately, after about 7GB is extracted, gunzip fails with:

The tree we backed up is:
# du -sk /mirror0/project/s
11841211        /mirror0/project/s

The resulting .tar.gz file is:
-rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  4928408330 Feb 17 15:49
mirror0-project-s-20040217.tar.gz

# gunzip -t mirror0-project-s-20040217.tar.gz
gunzip: mirror0-project-s-20040217.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc
error

It is gzip that broke or gunzip? Anyway to recover?

Any suggestions for other s/w to use. We back up from vinum mirrors to
Firewire drives under 4.9-RELEASE. Compression helps by reducing the time to
backup.

Tonight, there will be no compression...

Duncan

*Somebody lost data - not a system failure.