802.11g and 5.X

Paul Robinson paul at iconoplex.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 14:28:39 GMT 2004

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 02:06:43PM +0000, Simon Dick wrote:

> Strange, but this is the nearest bit of useful info I've found on that:
>
> The card I'm getting seems to be supported, if not I can use the NDIS
> driver hack until it's supported natively I guess.

You think that's bizzare? I just got decent technical documentation for
FreeBSD from a page on amazon.com !!!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/guides/guide-display/-/1KIKH13BW2V0E/103-1314381-5311869

"Linux and FreeBSD users must use either 'Netgear WAG511 802.11a/b/g Dual
Band Wireless PC Card' or 'Netgear WG511 Wireless 802.11g PC Card' for best
results, as both cards have new, well-written drivers for FreeBSD (part of
the latest distribution) and Linux."

The WG511 comes in a "WG511T" package as well, which apparently uses a
different chipset. I'm guessing that could lead to problems. Therefore this
one:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=2DMG

or this one:

http://www.dabs.com/uk/productView.htm?quicklinx=2N53

The difference is the first one appears to be b/g only, and the latter will
apparently handle a/b/g so useful for trips to the states, etc. Not cheap
though (well, the first card is half the price of the first one), and I'm
not sure whether I can trust Amazon for technical advice relating to chipset
compatability with -CURRENT.

I may well give the WAG511 a go and see how far I get...

--
Paul Robinson