Setting up 5.2 on a laptop

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 23:29:08 GMT 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 09:36:25PM -0000, Andrew wrote:

> > It looks like your laptop uses a "NVidia GeForce4 420 Go" graphics
> > card:
>
> Well I just DID NOT think of taking that route! I was just trying to
> find the monitor spec, cause I knew I was using the nv driver anyway
> (right?).

I think so: nv(4)

There's also a driver in ports which supports OpenGL:

/usr/ports/x11/nvidia-driver

but it requires the use of a proprietory kernel module I believe.

I guess try both and see which works better for you.

> > You'll probably find a *BSD XF86Config if you look though, or generate
> your own and plug > in any required values from the one above ie. sync
> rate etc.
>
> That's the thing, it says "Toshiba LCD", and I really didn't want to
> take any chances with this thing, it's a work machine.

It's a works machine!? Plug in any values, the worst that can happen
is that it produces a bit of smoke and then work give you a newer and
better model ;)

> You've got me thinking again though, thanks a lot.

No worries.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.