eolas v microsoft

Chris Whitehouse chris at childeric.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Feb 3 12:37:41 GMT 2004

02/02/04 18:55:23, Ceri Davies <ceri at FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>> Web software company Eolas Technologies sued Microsoft in 1999,
>> claiming that software that allows Internet Explorer to use plug-ins and
>> other external software > infringes on a patent it holds jointly with
>> the University of California..  > > Is that anything to do with Free(or
>> other)BSD?

>No.  We don't produce browsers.

No, I do know that :-P

ftp.exe on my win98 box contains the string Copyright (c) 1983 The Regents of the University of California and I have heard that BSD code was used extensively in the
win95 tcp/ip code. I was just curious whether the reference to University of California in the article indicated more BSD code used by M$.

Chris