Setting up 5.2 on a laptop

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Wed Feb 4 21:41:31 GMT 2004

On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 08:00:00PM -0000, Andrew wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Finally got hold of a decent laptop (Sony Vaio PCG-GRT795MP) and I
> wanted to try out the 5-series for the first time. Install went fine,
> but getting X to work has proved difficult, especially as decent
> technical info on this model is nigh non-existant and the Sony 'support'
> staff can't be arsed to 'support' anything not Windows.
>
> Even Windows isn't much help - I've tried using the likes of Sandra as
> well, but no info on h- and v-sync comes up. The screen is a 15-inch XGA
> display that currently does 1024x768 at 60Hz. The Sony guy said that
> TFTs don't have sync rates cause "the pixels are either on or off", but
> I've got a little Thinkpad 560x with OpenBSD on it and THAT has sync
> rates in the XF86Config... So I'd appreciate some advice!
>
> Bit inexperienced with laptops generally, so any help would be great.
>
> Cheers,

It looks like your laptop uses a "NVidia GeForce4 420 Go" graphics
card:

http://www.sonyvaios.co.uk/laptops/gr/sony_vaio_grt795mp.html

a search for that + XF86Config gives me:

http://bb.zhang.free.fr/XF86Config-4

which is an XF86Config for Debian. You'll have to change the mouse,
the fontpaths, XkbLayout and maybe something else.

You'll probably find a *BSD XF86Config if you look though, or generate
your own and plug in any required values from the one above ie. sync
rate etc.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.