HELP: FreeBSD 5.2 crashing when doing fsck?

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 22:16:27 GMT 2004

On Sun, Feb 01, 2004 at 10:09:07PM -0000, William Cooper wrote:

> Hello,
>
> If you checked out the first email I sent I mentioned the motherboard
> make/model, the Abit BP6 comes with 4 IDE ports so I can have 8 IDE
> devices if I wish.

Sorry, I guess I missed that.

> The comments I saw on e-buyer was mostly if not all good, apart from the
> odd DOA comment.
>
> I must stress that the setup on the box now is only ONE 20 GB disk which
> has FreeBSD 5.2 installed on it, as I wanted to isolate the problem so
> started to remove hardware. Also when the machine tried to fsck 4 120GB
> disks it wasn't the quickest of things.
>
> As mentioned in a lot of the other emails, it seems the fsck_ufs and
> fsck processes that go into the background after booting up are causing
> the problem, I may be wrong but only when I kill -9 these processes then
> the box runs without a hitch. Before the machine wouldn't last 40
> minutes, at the moment it's been running for 10 hours and counting
> (because I killed the above processes at the start). Of course I rather
> not do this every time I have to reboot it :)

As you say it sounds like the background fsck. Isn't that a new
feature in the 5 branch along with the filesystem itself? If so maybe
it's buggy.

> Thanks for your help,

Sorry William, I haven't been much help at all :(

Maybe some of the folks on cubfm might have come across your problem
and it might be worth posting there.

Regards,

--

 Frank