HELP: FreeBSD 5.2 crashing when doing fsck?

William Cooper williamcooper at data-storm.net
Sun Feb 1 22:09:07 GMT 2004

Hello,

If you checked out the first email I sent I mentioned the motherboard
make/model, the Abit BP6 comes with 4 IDE ports so I can have 8 IDE
devices if I wish.

The comments I saw on e-buyer was mostly if not all good, apart from the
odd DOA comment.

I must stress that the setup on the box now is only ONE 20 GB disk which
has FreeBSD 5.2 installed on it, as I wanted to isolate the problem so
started to remove hardware. Also when the machine tried to fsck 4 120GB
disks it wasn't the quickest of things.

As mentioned in a lot of the other emails, it seems the fsck_ufs and
fsck processes that go into the background after booting up are causing
the problem, I may be wrong but only when I kill -9 these processes then
the box runs without a hitch. Before the machine wouldn't last 40
minutes, at the moment it's been running for 10 hours and counting
(because I killed the above processes at the start). Of course I rather
not do this every time I have to reboot it :)

Thanks for your help,

Regards,

William