HELP: FreeBSD 5.2 crashing when doing fsck?

Frank Shute frank at esperance-linux.co.uk
Sun Feb 1 13:07:47 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:05:13PM -0000, William Cooper wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I have a FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE machine here, lately I started to run into
> system problems where the machine would completely freeze and had to be
> rebooted, the reboots took a very long time because it decided it wanted
> to fsck the 4 x 120gb hard disks that are connected to it, then after it
> had completed this task the machine would run fine for a few hours (I
> think, I would normally go to bed and find it broken in the morning).
> Today I decided I wanted to find the root of the problem, I have swapped
> different sticks of ram, disconnected the 4x 120gb hard disks, and tried
> various different modes from the kernel loader screen (?) just before it
> boots up to try and fix it.
>
> Then the hangs started to happen earlier, it would only fsck the install
> disk (only disk connected by this time), which is only 20gb and then
> hang within minutes afterwards. I noticed the hang would happen with the
> HDD light on, so next time I booted up I did a 'killall -9 fsck' and
> 'killall -9 fsck_ufs', once them two processes were killed I haven't had
> a problem, and the machine is still running (without a reboot of
> course).
>
> The only thing I can think of is that the mobo is duffed or the 20gb
> hard drive is going :/
>
> Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I really need this box up
> and I'm unable to fix this problem :(
>
> Kit: Abit BP6 running dual 533Mhz Celerons
>
> Uname: FreeBSD deathstar 5.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE #0: Sun Jan 11
> 04:21:45 GMT 20
> 04     root at wv1u.btc.adaptec.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC  i386
>
> Any help will be great,

Well calling your machine "deathstar" what the hell do you expect? ;)

I'm a bit confused about your disk arrangement. You mention 4x120gb
hd's but using a 20gb to install. Does this mean you've got some
sort of RAID array set up? Maybe you could outline what you're doing
exactly vis a vis installation as it wasn't clear to me.

If you're plugging/unplugging disks then maybe that's where your
problem lies. Maybe something stupid like a dodgy connection or you're
connecting them up wrong - don't mean to be insulting, we've all done
it.

Also I remember a while back there was a problem with IBM disks but I
think it was a couple of years back and I can't remember what the
problem was.

--

 Frank

   Boroughbridge.