HELP: FreeBSD 5.2 crashing when doing fsck?

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Sun Feb 1 09:06:17 GMT 2004

On Sat, Jan 31, 2004 at 09:05:13PM -0000, William Cooper wrote:
> I have a FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE machine here, lately I started to run into
> system problems where the machine would completely freeze and had to be
> rebooted, the reboots took a very long time because it decided it wanted
> to fsck the 4 x 120gb hard disks that are connected to it,

That's odd, as it implies that your fsck's aren't backgrounded.

> Then the hangs started to happen earlier, it would only fsck the install
> disk (only disk connected by this time), which is only 20gb and then
> hang within minutes afterwards. I noticed the hang would happen with the
> HDD light on, so next time I booted up I did a 'killall -9 fsck' and
> 'killall -9 fsck_ufs', once them two processes were killed I haven't had
> a problem, and the machine is still running (without a reboot of
> course).

But this implies that they are.

> Can anyone shed some light on this problem? I really need this box up
> and I'm unable to fix this problem :(

Eliminate the buit I'm unsure about:  boot into single user mode,
(see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/boot-init.html)
and fsck the disks by hand (with something like "fsck -p")

--
You dont have to be illiterate to use the Internet, but it help's.