USB Modem fun and games

Mike Bristow mike at urgle.com
Fri Dec 31 15:48:40 GMT 2004

On Fri, Dec 31, 2004 at 02:40:39PM +0000, Brian Somers wrote:
> I think you need usbd_enable=YES in /etc/rc.conf so that usbd starts up
> and notices the arrival of usb devices.

I don't think that's the problem...

> > I can see in the contents of /boot/kernel that the "ucom.ko" and
> > "umodem.ko" files are present:

To digress a little, actually, this is irrelevant to the ucom and
umodem being in the kernel; these are loadable on demand modules.

Basically if you hadn't compiled "ucom" and "umodem" into the kernel,
running "kldload ucom" and "kldload umodem" should result in a
running kernel that has the same capabilities (and these files are
the ones that get used to do this magic).

> > ugen0: Conexant Systems, Inc. V.90 Modem with USB Interface, rev 1.00/0.01,
> > addr 2

> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
> >   addr 2: V.90 Modem with USB Interface, Conexant Systems, Inc.
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
> > addr 1: UHCI root hub, VIA
> > --
> > so it looks as if the USB modem is being seen by the system.

But it's not being seen as a modem, but as a "generic" device.

Try unplugging the modem and running:

kldload umct
kldload uplcom
kldload ubsa
kldload umodem

(the last shouldn't do anything except generate an error, but we may as
well check all the bases ;-)

and then plugging it back in.  See if it gets detected as something
other than a "ugen" this time (dmesg should tell you).  If not, erm,
chuck the output of :

usbdevs -d -v

and

kldstat

and

dmesg | tail

to the list, and hopefully someone with USB-fu can help (which won't
be me, I'm afraid.  I have a grand total of 2 usb devices, and they
just worked :()

--
Mike Bristow - really a very good driver