FreeBSD 5.3 with USB Modem

Charles Brewster charles-brewster at ntlworld.com
Tue Dec 28 14:36:33 GMT 2004

Hello All

I'm configuring a new AMD64 box to work with FreeBSD 5.3 using a
replaceable hard-drive, and all goes smoothly thus far. As some may recall,
I'm a blundering newbie.

The ABIT motherboard fitted in the box doesn't have serial or parallel
ports but I'm using a 56K USB modem to connect to the net when it's running
WinXP.

I've recompiled the FreeBSD kernel with
device ucom
device umodem
added

When I've used PPP before with FreeBSD it has connected through "tun0", but
I'm not sure how to direct/bind(?) tun0 to ucom and the umodem.

In /dev I can see "usb" and also "usb0", "usb1", "usb2" and "usb3". There
are 4 motherboard USB connectors, but the documentation isn't clear about
how they are numbered, so I'm not sure which the modem is connected to, no
power lights are showing.

Has anybody managed to get FreeBSD working with a USB modem? What am I
missing out?

Many thanks for any help as always.

best regards
Charles Brewster