Help/advice required setting up a local mail server

Mark Ovens mark at ukug.uk.freebsd.org
Sat Dec 18 19:55:50 GMT 2004

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I've finally got round to setting
this up after several false starts due to Real Life (TM) getting in the way.

I've gone with postfix+fetchmail+courier-imap and it's working well but
I've one problem that I can't figure out how to deal with. If a mail
gets sent to two users then I end up two copies in each users mailbox.

I've not set up individual mailboxes on my ISP's server so all mail goes
into the default mailbox but my ISP puts a copy for each user there.

According to the fetchmail manpage it should eliminate duplicates with
multi-drop but that only works if each instance of the message has the
same message ID, but they don't.

One way I can think to solve this is to run separate instances of
postfix+fetchmail for each user, which seems a bit OTT. The other way is
to setup SMTP forwarding from my ISP's server but I'm not keen on this
because it means opening up port 25 and also if I move to an ISP in the
future that doesn't offer SMTP forwarding then I've got to reconfigure
everything.

This must be possible to achieve - after all if I set up individual
mailboxes on my ISP's server then I don't get duplicates.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Mark