Don't want US keyboard layout

Jon Schneider jon at axismilton.ltd.uk
Tue Dec 14 09:23:19 GMT 2004

Morning all,

Although I've got X working nicely (really !) on my 4.10 installation, I
thought I'd change my console from sc to vt because I like pretty
colours.

But the keyboard layout is now US.

kbdcontrol says "inappropriate ioctl" when trying to load the right one
by hand. kbdcontrol -d works though.

These are the important bits of my kernel configuration. There is also
of course the .conf entry to load the uk keyboard which worked under sc
but not now with vt. I originally only changed sc for vt but later added
the keymap options between swearing at it repeatedly and tearing my hair
out.

device          atkbdc0 at isa? port IO_KBD
device          atkbd0  at atkbdc? irq 1 flags 0x1
device          psm0    at atkbdc? irq 12
device          vga0    at isa?
pseudo-device   splash

options         ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP
makeoptions     ATKBD_DFLT_KEYMAP="uk.iso"
device          vt0     at isa?
options PCVT_FREEBSD=410

Any ideas ?
                                                                             Jon